Nowadays, everyone seems to know what is the Keto Diet, or they have at least heard about it. You probably would have too. And like with everything that is popular, there are a lot of misconceptions about the diet.
It is important for people to research well before they start the diet. Doing things wrong will reduce the effectiveness of the diet. Even, it might cause health problems. Here are some of the most misconceptions that people tend to have about the Keto Diet.
- Do you think that keto is all about eating fatty foods? Yes, eating foods with high-fat content is an important part of the diet. However, it does not mean it is the only part. One also has to completely cut down the intake of carbohydrates. The Keto Diet substitutes fats for carbs. Also, the type of fat you eat is also important. Fats from animals are generally unhealthy and high in cholesterol. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid them as much as possible. Instead go for vegetable fats such as Olive Oil, Almonds, Walnuts, and Cashews. All these food items are rich in both good fats and protein. Of course, you know that they taste great as well.
- Can vegetarians follow the Keto Diet? Another common myth surrounding the Keto Diet is that it is not for vegans. A lot of people believe that to ingest the necessary fats and proteins required, one has to eat meat or other animal products. No, this is not true, not even close. A lot of vegetarian foods such as nuts, pulses, beans etc contain a lot of protein and fat. If that is not enough, you can always add a splash of vegetable oil. Some of the examples include Olive Oil, Sesame Oil or Coconut Oil. They can make your food a lot more flavourful. Are you a vegetarian? Do you look to start the Keto Diet? There are a lot of wonderful vegetarian ketogenic recipes available on the Internet. Just Google them and start your journey towards losing that weight.
- Proteins? A lot of Proteins? No – You can take proteins while you are on a Ketogenic Diet. It keeps your stomach full and makes hunger go away. But, you cannot take too much of proteins. Having too many proteins will actually make your body go out of ketosis. The body will start extracting calories from proteins instead of fat. Yes, you might end up losing a bit of weight if you do this. But all that fat you wanted to burn will still remain. The result is that all your efforts would have been fruitless. So, take proteins as much as it is required, no more or no less.
- Yep, there is no escape from fruits and vegetables – Sorry to burst your bubble. But you have to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables provide you with the necessary nutrition. They will keep your body replenished. Not all fruits and vegetables are Keto-friendly though. You can freely consume vegetables that are low in carbs. The examples include lettuce, cabbage, and zucchini. On the other hand, only a handful of fruits that are low in carbs and sugar can be consumed. Raspberries are a good choice, and so are grapefruits.
- The Keto Flu – The Keto Flu is a very misleading name for a natural phenomenon caused by the change in diet. Why is it called flu then? Some people think the few minor symptoms caused by the changes taking place to your metabolism resembles flu. Every weight loss diet changes the way your body sees nutrition. In some instances, they are not very clever about it. Some programs make you starve, while others lead to loss of important nutrients. The Keto Diet does none of that, in fact, it makes your body fitter and healthier than before.
- Keto does not improve general body health – The Ketogenic Diet helps reduce weight. But, it was not a diet that was specially designed for the purpose. In fact, the Keto Diet has been used as a therapeutic diet. Yes, it is being done for nearly hundred years. The purpose is to treat children suffering from retroactive epilepsy. Doctors have also recommended this diet to patients who suffer from Type 2 diabetes. It is only recently that it becomes popular for its weight loss properties. Research has shown that the Keto Diet improves the health of an individual in a profound manner. So, do you feel that Ketosis Diet is just weight loss program? Do you think that it does nothing to improve your overall health? It is just a myth.
- What is your idea about cheat meals? You are already getting to eat tasty food every single day in keto. It is not the case with other weight loss diets. So, you will never experience any urge to have a cheat meal. If you have one cheat meal, and all your hard work will go in vain. You should remember one thing here. Every time you have a cheat meal and eat carbs, you are taking your body out of ketosis.
- Do you think Keto is hard to follow? There is a difference between most other diets and the Keto Diet. The difference is that you are actually allowed to eat food that tastes really good. It is a generally known fact that fat increases the taste of food, and the Ketogenic Diet allows you to have fats. So, the taste of the food you will be eating on the Keto Diet is not going to be a problem at all. The only slight difficulty you might face while on a Ketosis Diet is that it is hard not to eat carbs. Your body will crave carbs, and some people might find it a bit difficult to fight the temptation. But your cravings are more of a mental problem than being a physical one. If you have to drive to lose weight, you will definitely be able to follow this diet without any problems.